The HLAI, which is a company limited by guarantee, which does not have a share capital, was founded in 2004 by a group of hedge layers and other interested individuals. We are a not-for-profit group. Our aims and objectives are:
- To encourage and facilitate the conservation, protection and appropriate management of hedgerows
- To promote the craft and profession of hedge laying
- To encourage and facilitate landowners in the management of hedges by laying, where appropriate
- To encourage and train people in the craft of hedge laying
- To establish, maintain and promote recognised standards of craftsmanship in hedge laying
- To research and document the tradition of hedge laying in Ireland
A team of Directors appointed annually at the AGM steer the work of the Association.
The Directors currently are for 2019:
Chairman: Joe Gowran
Mark McDowell (Secretary) is the PRO of the HLAI and has been a director of the organisation since its foundation.
He has an Ecology Diploma from UCC and has been involved in environmental work since 1997.
Paul is a farmer from Desertmartin, Moneymore, Co. Derry. His farm is a Focus Farm for the NI Countryside Management Scheme.
John is a REPS planner who also has a small nursery growing whitethorn quicks from locally collected seed.
The Directors meet as regularly as possible - all Members of the Association are invited to attend these meetings.
|What is Hedge Laying|
|Looking for a Hedge Layer|
|Latest News & Events|
|Hands on Hedges Project|